SPOT check in. Everything's OK and here is my location:
ESN:0-7376388
Latitude:50.7707
Longitude:-128.4018
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:08/06/2009 18:25:53 (US/Pacific)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=50.7707,-128.4018&ll=50.7707,-128.4018&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1
Thursday, August 6, 2009
OK ESN:0-7376388
SPOT check in. Everything's OK and here is my location:
ESN:0-7376388
Latitude:50.8683
Longitude:-128.0525
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:08/06/2009 07:05:24 (US/Pacific)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=50.8683,-128.0525&ll=50.8683,-128.0525&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1
ESN:0-7376388
Latitude:50.8683
Longitude:-128.0525
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:08/06/2009 07:05:24 (US/Pacific)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=50.8683,-128.0525&ll=50.8683,-128.0525&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
OK ESN:0-7376388
SPOT check in. Everything's OK and here is my location:
ESN:0-7376388
Latitude:50.8856
Longitude:-127.4872
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:08/04/2009 16:25:49 (US/Pacific)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=50.8856,-127.4872&ll=50.8856,-127.4872&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1
ESN:0-7376388
Latitude:50.8856
Longitude:-127.4872
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:08/04/2009 16:25:49 (US/Pacific)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=50.8856,-127.4872&ll=50.8856,-127.4872&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1
Change of Plans
For several months I have been planning my paddle out to the Brooks Peninsula. Checking maps, reading descriptions, choosing launch points, sorting gear. After my Tofino trip I had to wait while the gale wind warning went away. As the forecast was improving I headed out to the launch site (Artlish) which is well off the beaten path on logging roads. I was happy when I got there to see a large family group that had set up camp for the summer - I was sure it would be safe to leave my truck as I went off paddling.
But I also noticed the smoke in the air. The locals had seen it too but had no information. I waited a day since the forecast was still for high winds and I watched to see what would happen with the fire. It was clear the fire was north of us and we were in no immediate danger. I aslo felt confident that I would be fine out on the water. I was really just worried that I would come back after a week of paddling and the one road out of the place would be blocked off.
So last night I wrestled long and hard with the decision of what to do. It was one of the most difficult times I have had making up my mind. I felt the risk was relatively low but if I got stuck I would miss my window to get up to the Queen Charlottes. And then I realized that the destination wasn't what I was having troiuble letting go - it was the planning. There are many beautiful paddling options around so I decided to find somewhere else to paddle that would be just as nice (and give me a good challenge) without the risk of missing my ferry reservation.
So I am headed up to Port Hardy to head out to God's Pocket and Cape Scott. So instead of a six day trip out to the exposed and rugged west coast of Vancouver Islandthat took several months of planning I will be doing a six day paddle out to the exposed and rugged north coast of Vancouver Island with about three hours of planning. With the benefit that my launch site is about two miles from where the ferry departs. Wish me luck!
And check out the video now added to my Tofino report below.
But I also noticed the smoke in the air. The locals had seen it too but had no information. I waited a day since the forecast was still for high winds and I watched to see what would happen with the fire. It was clear the fire was north of us and we were in no immediate danger. I aslo felt confident that I would be fine out on the water. I was really just worried that I would come back after a week of paddling and the one road out of the place would be blocked off.
So last night I wrestled long and hard with the decision of what to do. It was one of the most difficult times I have had making up my mind. I felt the risk was relatively low but if I got stuck I would miss my window to get up to the Queen Charlottes. And then I realized that the destination wasn't what I was having troiuble letting go - it was the planning. There are many beautiful paddling options around so I decided to find somewhere else to paddle that would be just as nice (and give me a good challenge) without the risk of missing my ferry reservation.
So I am headed up to Port Hardy to head out to God's Pocket and Cape Scott. So instead of a six day trip out to the exposed and rugged west coast of Vancouver Islandthat took several months of planning I will be doing a six day paddle out to the exposed and rugged north coast of Vancouver Island with about three hours of planning. With the benefit that my launch site is about two miles from where the ferry departs. Wish me luck!
And check out the video now added to my Tofino report below.
Sunday, August 2, 2009
There be whales here, cap'n!
After a little
OK ESN:0-7376388
SPOT check in. Everything's OK and here is my location:
ESN:0-7376388
Latitude:50.5466
Longitude:-126.8315
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:08/02/2009 13:00:54 (US/Pacific)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=50.5466,-126.8315&ll=50.5466,-126.8315&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1
ESN:0-7376388
Latitude:50.5466
Longitude:-126.8315
Nearest Location:not known
Distance:not known
Time:08/02/2009 13:00:54 (US/Pacific)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=50.5466,-126.8315&ll=50.5466,-126.8315&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1
Saturday, August 1, 2009
Switch-a-roo
I had planned to try to get a paddle in Johnstone Strait after the Brooks Peninsula trip since the Brooks trip was more important so I wanted to make sure to get it in. But with gale warnings persisting on the coast I am going to drive up to Telegraph Cove and try to get a quick paddle in in the morning. I talked to a local and he said they've been seeing lots of whales - ever since I started kayaking I really wanted to get the chance to paddle next to Orcas, so let's hope it happens. I just have to figure out if the currents are going to work - I think I may just have to fight them if I want to get out on the water early. I hope to be able to start the Brooks trip on Monday morning but we'll just have to see how the weather plays out - I think I can wait until Tuesday but anything later and I'll have to shorten the trip in order to make it up to the Queen Charlottes on schedule.
Today I attended the Filberg Festival in Comox. It's an arts and crafts and music festival in a little town on the water. Not my normal outing but it was a fun way to spend a hot and sunny day - sitting in the shade listening to live music and snacking on fried ice cream.
Today I attended the Filberg Festival in Comox. It's an arts and crafts and music festival in a little town on the water. Not my normal outing but it was a fun way to spend a hot and sunny day - sitting in the shade listening to live music and snacking on fried ice cream.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)
