Saturday, August 1, 2009

Switch-a-roo

I had planned to try to get a paddle in Johnstone Strait after the Brooks Peninsula trip since the Brooks trip was more important so I wanted to make sure to get it in. But with gale warnings persisting on the coast I am going to drive up to Telegraph Cove and try to get a quick paddle in in the morning. I talked to a local and he said they've been seeing lots of whales - ever since I started kayaking I really wanted to get the chance to paddle next to Orcas, so let's hope it happens. I just have to figure out if the currents are going to work - I think I may just have to fight them if I want to get out on the water early. I hope to be able to start the Brooks trip on Monday morning but we'll just have to see how the weather plays out - I think I can wait until Tuesday but anything later and I'll have to shorten the trip in order to make it up to the Queen Charlottes on schedule.

Today I attended the Filberg Festival in Comox. It's an arts and crafts and music festival in a little town on the water. Not my normal outing but it was a fun way to spend a hot and sunny day - sitting in the shade listening to live music and snacking on fried ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment